- Our heroes come to in the pit of an expansive crater reaching as far as they can see. We open from Sparrow’s perspective.
Sparrow opens her eyes, vaguely headachey. As she stares straight above, into the sky, thoughts occur to her, in fairly rapid succession.
First, as her vision clears: “My, the moon is large tonight.”
Second, as she blinks twice: “…was the moon always so metallic?”
Third, as she sits up and looks around to get her bearings—an act complicated by her ruined artifact arm: “Oh, there’s the moon all the way over there. Pff. How silly of me. No wonder…it’s…so…um…”
- The great sphere in the sky is an unknown distance away. It doesn’t seem particularly interested in responding.
- The Ascendant Nimbus Roar slowly drifts their way. It is badly damaged—having survived that at all by dint of having received an order to deploy its Stormclaw Reaper units only moments early enough.
- It’s airworthy—barely—and Sparrow attempts to make some basic repairs as she flies back home.
- Meanwhile, on the Moon of Brass and Steel, in a tunnel wires and rust…
We see Shackle, still badly wounded. He’s alone. His chest is bare, and clearly the Ragdoll Princess was unfinished with her work fixing him when the great white something took him.
A loud, clunking Tunk-tunktunktunk — like the turning of broken gears — resounds around him.
He opens one eye, bleary and pained. “What’s that?”
A metallic screech answers.
“That’s not the first time I’ve gotten that offer.” He says.
A low and rusty roar shakes the ground and walls. Shackle closes his eyes and leans back.
“Sure. Why not?”
Around him, shuddering clockwork figures begin to move out of the shadow.
- Our heroes continue south. The devastation is widespread, nearly 1500 miles across and having wiped the whole of Diamond Hearth off the map. The crater opens up the furthest north to the White Sea, which has begun filling the hole in the world our heroes made.
- Sparrow stops for a few days in Kaet’s Landing. She gives a cursory report not mentioning the PC’s involvement in the devastation, and began repairs—though Icehome would be the best place to do it.
- While in Kaet’s Landing, Lion learns that Six has been through. She brutally attacked Other Lion, but seemed disturbed—and furious!—that she would be soul-eaten. She also caused some property damage to Pine’s front door. But that was replaced.
- Six has, lamentably, disappeared to parts unknown.
- Also, Savant encounters Erryl, a Steward who may or may not have encountered him before, but seems to be part of the Lunar conspiracy that the characters have encountered.
- Savant learns that the Soldiers who were returned to the Bull were executed for treason. Forced to dig their own graves, first. Other soldiers were ordered to watch. If any made a break for it and escaped, then the ones who let them past would take their place digging and dying.
- Savant manages to convince her to pull some strings and get a crew and replacement parts for the Roar.
- The crew makes their way to the Haslanti Capital, where Sparrow is met by some unpleasant news: apparently, the Guild realized there were some funds missing from their budget, hired the Nexus Freelance Troubleshooting Union to go through their books, found out exactly where all their missing funds went a year ago, and took them back. Every bit of property damage and every mortal staff member who died has now been paid for. There’s even a ledger, documenting everything. It’s quite thorough, though it seems to be missing a page.
- Sparrow, apparently not having been in the know about where the money came from, is furious. But Savant disappears, leaving Lyim to take the brunt of her fury.
- Later on, she gets ready to do some work on the Roar. Enter the Twins. Sparrow realizes Mina is holding something with her name on it. This is news to Mina, but hey! It’s for Miss Sparrowsteel!
- The piece of paper is the last page of the ledger, assessing fines for the death of one Dragonblooded Guild personnel, Unrelenting Rain. These are calculated, a footnote is made about “Alternative ledger balancing option: financed by U. Spring.” And at the bottom, stamped in violet ink, are the words: “PAID IN FULL.”
- Mina’s head, heart, and shoulder explode.